Health Care Assistant
Join our Health Care Assistant Program.
The Health Care Assistant (HCA) program has been approved by the Registrar of the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) of the Ministry of Advanced Education, Government of British Columbia and by BC Care Aide Registry. The HCA Program is designated to provide students with opportunities to develop the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to function effectively as front-line care-givers, and respected members of the healthcare team, in community and facility settings. Under the direction and supervision of a health professional, graduates provide person-centered care aimed at promoting and maintaining the physical, emotional, cognitive, and social well-being of clients/residents.
- Grade 12 or mature student of 19 years of age or older.
- English 10 or equivalent
- Must meet the English language proficiency as set by the B.C. Care Aide and Community Health Worker Registry: https://www.cachwr.bc.ca/Documents/Educators/English-Language-Competency_HCA-Program-Entry_2018.aspx
The following are to be completed prior to the First Practice Education Experience:
- Proof of meeting current immunizations / vaccinations as per health care organization policies / guidelines (or signed vaccination exemption form, except TB)
- Criminal record check from the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General, including clearance to work with vulnerable adults.
- First Aid
- CPR Level “C” or “HCP”
- Foodsafe Level 1 (or a course deemed equivalent)
- Provincial Violence Prevention Curriculum (PVPC) E-Learning Modules
Note: Students who do not meet these requirements may be prohibited from attending practice education experiences given particular Health Authority, or practice education site organization/agency policy.
Registration Fee (Non-Refundable):
Domestic Students: $150
International Students: $200
Domestic Students: $7,500
International Students: $10,500
Course Materials : $250